Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Project 10: Take 2: Dark

Project 10 is a group that takes 10 photo's to depict the given topic of the month.  I was running out of time, my daughter did not want to model for me, and so I ended up taking pictures of my little black cat because she is completely dark.  However, I was not happy with the whole concept behind the topic dark. 

Last night I was going through my photo's of the past year and picking out my favorites and I came across this picture and I thought, oh boy, if this isn't dark, then I don't know what is.  However, it was not taken in this month.



This morning I brought my old cat back from the vet and as I parked my car I looked at the neighbors yard and my vision for dark was all over the driveway entrance.  When we first moved to Florida and started looking at houses, folks said to us you are crazy, you are moving way to far out of town, and you are going to take forever to get to work.  They were right in some sense, because I drive an hour to work twice a week.  However, I work in West Palm Beach so I guess that would make sense. 

I am an African.  I am used to seeing wild animals in game parks.  Not so  much in my back garden.  So when we picked our house in Florida, one of the first things we noticed, is that houses were zero lots, which means for someone who has come off half an acre of garden, the gardens here are non existent. After looking at 10 houses I made my choices, and the prayed that this would work.

And it did, we now own a home with a back garden that overlooks the Florida Everglades.  The highlight of that is that now I don't need to go to the game parks to view animals, they are literally in my back garden.

Which brings me back to the topic of "Dark".  These birds are the epitome of dark for me.   Turkey Vultures are defined as a new world vulture.  They are scavengers, feeding mainly on dead animals, or in some cases, a smell from a garbage bin.  The female vulture is typically larger. You will normally find them flying high in the sky or congregated around road kill. 

So here is my second take on dark.  Hanging out on the roofs, the basket ball hoops and the garbage....


Watching my every move....








The bird is large and has a wingspan of 63-72 inches, a body length of about 24-32in, and a body mass of about 1.8 to 5.1 lb. 


"Every step you take,  I will be watching you...."





 

While I think these birds are really dark, it is such a pleasure to get up close to them and to be able to photograph them right in front of my house.


“Birds of the same feathers flock together, and when they flock together they fly so high.”
~ Cecil Thounaojam
 

1 comment: