Sunday, December 1, 2013

Daggerwing Nature Center


Daggerwing Nature Center is a new wetland walk that I found recently.  It is part of a large county park.  I decided to take a walk out there one day and see what it had to offer.  Here is my take for the day. 

The Turkey vulture is a common sight down in Florida and is often known as a Turkey Buzzard.  They are scavangers on are generally found around road kill, or I have seen them in my street digging through someone's garbage. 

 

The general park has a nice kiddies playground and I was attracted to the look of the empty swing.  Lonely kind of look but it appealed to me.


As did the single kite flying in the sky. 


As I walked around the nature park I realized that there was not a lot of birds like the wetlands I typically go to and so I looked for things that caught my attention.  This particular plant appears to have a nest built halfway along the plant leaf and it has killed off the tips of the leaf.


Dragonflies fascinate me.  When I can get up close them I really try to do that.  The have the most amazing features that I have never noticed until I got up close and personal with a zoom lens. 









 









 Capturing texture while you are out and about and depth is fun to play with as well Below is a picture of a hole in a tree and a pine cone




Critters are fun but this place did not have too many.  The best I could find was a lonely squirrel. 


And like most of the parks I walk, there are always spider webs.  If you get them at the right angle with the sunlight reflecting off them they are just beautiful. 




Once I had walked through the park, I went into the information center and there were a few tanks that I came across with turtles.




This baby gator took a dive at me as I walked up and then shot to this position in the corner.  Fortunately there was glass between the two of us. 






I ended off my day sitting out in my back garden enjoy my own beautiful scenery and the incredible gift of nature.



“Love the animals. God has given them the rudiments of
thought and joy untroubled.
Don't trouble it, don't harass them of
their happiness, don't work against God's intent.”
~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky



No comments:

Post a Comment