Monday, December 9, 2013

Blounts Botanical Garden Part 3

Walking around Blount's Botanical Garden was a treat for all my senses, except taste, and that came later when we went for a light dinner.  The visual aspect is just spectacular.  My hearing was blessed by the sounds of the birds and the insects.  The smell of the flowers was like sweet nectar, and the roughness of the bark on the trees filled my sense of touch.
 










This peaceful setting of rocks and succulent plants was so soothing, that I found Suzette had slipped off and made herself comfortable on the bench, relaxing until I had finished taking the shots I wanted.











While this little guy is blurry, I really love the motion in this photo, the sense of urgency to head off to another plant. 


Finally we are back where we started, near the herb and butterfly garden. 




 
 

And then Suzette spots a archway in the bamboo through which we meander and find this little tropical setting that was so interesting to walk through.


Typically when I think of my mother, I picture her reading a book, or baking in the kitchen.  But my mom loved Anthiriums, and so these reminded me of her as I walked through this tropical hideaway.  It's little moments like this that I find myself sharing the oddest stories of my parents.  In this case, while my father had his orchids growing in his hothouse, my mother insisted that at the base of his racks of orchids that he plant Anthiriums.  He did, and when they flowered he would pick them and take them inside to her.   








Last but not least, we headed through the rose garden.  The smells from these gorgeous roses linger in the air.























Finally one last photo of a butterfly before we leave the garden.

 
“Butterflies are not insects,' Captain John Sterling said soberly.
 'They are self-propelled flowers.”
 
~ Robert A, Heinlein, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
 
Thank you for joining us on our walk through Blount's Botanical Garden.  If you are not able to visit this one, take a walk through your local Botanical Gardens and enjoy the beauty that these gardens typically offer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment