Monday, December 9, 2013

Blounts Botanical Garden Part 1

Blount's Botanical Garden is this tiny little haven, that I discovered through the help of my friend Suzette, just down the road from my office.  Recently they had an orchid show and Suzette suggested that we meet up there and do a walk about.  The Botanical Garden itself is beautiful and the orchid show was pretty spectacular.  Here is a 3 part blog on some of the interesting things we saw that day.
 
We started out in the butterfly garden, meandering through the different flowers and herbs. 
 







From there we wandered through the gardens towards the orchid displays. 


I love it when I take a photo and when I download it, I discover additional finds such as a spider web.








Just as we were about to walk through to the orchids I happened to look up.  In case you are interested I hate spiders.  I hate 100's of spiders above my head even more so.  It's just really creepy....












 As part of the orchid show, venus flytraps were also on sale.  They are very interesting plants.




 
Orchids are not only a hobby of sorts for me, when I can actually keep the plants alive, but they have a lot of memories for me.  My father grew orchids in his hot house in the back garden and at one stage I think he had over 1000 orchids.  When it came to birthday presents, I would go out of my way to try and find the oddest looking orchids as a gift.  So wandering through the orchid show was just a reminder that no matter where I walk, a little bit of my father walks with me.








Growing orchids was not just my fathers hobby, but two of his brothers grew orchids as well, as did his sister.  I remember many a time walking through my Uncle Bob's orchid house admiring his beautiful flowers.  He seemed to get slipper orchids to grow so beautifully.  Something I am not very successful at.











 
 
“I will be the gladdest thing under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers and not pick one.”
~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
 
 
If you want to see more beautiful orchids, and walk through the botanical gardens with me, click here
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment