Sunday, January 5, 2014

Photography for all Seasons: December 2013

Photography for all Seasons is a new group of about 10 photographers who records a time during the previous month that has resonated with them.

As an immigrant to the USA, one of the hardest parts of leaving your home country, is saying goodbye to family.  Family that you have spent almost all your life with in one way or another.  Family, whom is so important to you and whom is irreplaceable in your life. 

For most Americans, Thanksgiving is the time of year you draw close to family. For South Africans, Christmas is that time of year.  For many years I hosted Christmas in my home, so that all the family and extended family could, and would, gather together to spend the day with each other.

Moving to Florida, meant no extended family. No time with your loved ones other than your husband and two children.  For me that was tough.  I wanted my mother and my husbands mother to be with us.  I wanted my brother and his wife and 2 children, and my sister-in-law and her husband and 2 children, and my brother-in-law.  I wanted the brother of my heart.  But that was not going to happen.

Fortunately we had friends.  Friends who had moved here before us or around the same time as us. All of us in similar situations - no family around.  And so the tradition of hosting Christmas in our home continued.  For the past 10 years Christmas has been celebrated in our home with family (who have visited), with friends (who live here), and at times, with family of friends.  And while friends can never replace family, they themselves carve a notch in your heart and bring warmth into your life, that is missing along with your loved ones

So my blog this session is about preparing for a celebration of Christmas with friends.  Every year my first priority is to decide on a color theme and very often that depends on the color of the tableware.  I have different colors over the years, red, green, gold, burgundy, purple and blue. 
  
Then I will design an invitation to a bring and share dinner.  This year my color theme was red and gold.


Then I head up into the tiny attic in my home and pull down my boxes of decorations.  My boxes are color coordinated which makes it really easy to only pull down what is needed.  This year I decided on gold bows and flowers for the napkins and red balls and golden decorations for the centerpieces.

Two days before our Christmas dinner, I spread myself out on the dinning room table and I begin the process of making the napkins.  This year I was making for 16 adults and 5 children - a total of 21 guests.  I love this part of being creative. 


Finally the bows are on and the glittery golden flowers are placed at the opening of each napkin, ready for me to place the silverware inside.


 I just love how the light sparkles on the golden flowers.


Next I pull out the small wreaths and begin the process of making the centerpieces.  Dollar store vases make great candle holders.  Red balls and gold decorations from previous years,  are woven into the green wreath to make attractive center pieces.  Finally the candles are placed into the vases ready to be placed on the tables and lit. 




My pool table looks like Christmas heaven, consisting of rows of napkins, wreaths of red and gold, gold chargers, and Christmas plates.

 

We held our Christmas dinner this year on Saturday since my son was not able to get home on Christmas day.  That was a disappointment for me, but I also realized that I am going to have to get used to the idea.  My children are growing and soon they will move away from my home and into their own. I cannot say that I am overly happy with that idea.


First place to be set was our patio table. It was undercover and the threat of rain forced me to hold off setting anything that was out in the open. 


The outdoor bar area was next.



Finally the last bit of rain has been squeezed out and the tables have been dried down and the last table has been set. The candles have been lit and we are ready for the evening ahead.


As 2014 begins, I wish you and yours, a New Year full of hope.  That peace may be felt throughout your home, that joy may be the fundamental essence of your lives, and that love will abound throughout.  Remember, most of all, that when you give love, you will receive love, when you give laughter, you will receive laughter, and when you give comfort you will be comforted.  Take a bold stand in 2014 and make the very most of it and all it has to offer you. 


To our family and that of extended family, you are missed dearly.
To our friends, thank you for the past 10 years of fellowship.
For those friend who were moved out of Florida, move back to Florida. 
You all make this transition so much easier.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 


“You must remember, family is often born of blood, but it doesn't depend on blood. Nor is it exclusive of friendship. Family members can be your best friends, you know. And best friends, whether or not they are related to you, can be your family.”
~ Trenton Lee Stewart, The Mysterious Benedict Society.

“I think if I've learned anything about friendship, it's to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don't walk away, don't be distracted, don't be too busy or tired, don't take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff.”
~ Jon Katz

 “I may not always be with you
But when we're far apart
Remember you will be with me
Right inside my heart”
~ Marc Wambolt, Poems from the Heart  


Remember to check out Mary T Slone, Mephis Lifestyle Photographer, and see what she has to offer for her take on the month of December 

7 comments:

  1. Oh I'm in love with the shot with the palm trees out the window! that's my kind of Christmas!! and I envy your crafty abilities. very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much - I am envious of all the white Christmases that I see but I am not sure I would survive the cold. I have always had hot Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How utterly creative. I almost want to say you make me sick but that would be just plain nasty! If myself and 1 other person is given a piece of ribbon and a pair of scissors the other person will always get delectable curves and swirls - all I ever get is a mess! So I can only sit back - mouth open in admiration and Oh by the way - LOVE the photos!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL big time. It could not have been the housecraft classes that we had to do because I hated those, maybe Mrs Kirkwood's art classes. I sure wish I could have done those until the end of school. If you ever decide you are heading this side of tow feel free to join us for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the night-time shot of the table! Looks dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that shot of the glass with the pool in the background. The swirl looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara my favorite was the glass with the swirl.

    ReplyDelete