Monday, January 27, 2014

Story in a Snap: Week 1: Favorite Location

Story in a snap is the weekly blog post for 30-Minutes-in-the-Life. The objective is to share one picture and tell your story. This week the topic is Location.  My favorite location that is close by is the wetlands.  Nature brings me joy.  I like to go out on a Friday morning walk around the wetland.

Wakodahatchee Wetlands is probably a 25 minute walk but somehow I often end up staying for 2 hours depending on how much bird life I see. 

On a normal day, I see see Great Blue Heron, Blackbirds, Rosetta Spoonbills, Wood Storks, Anhinga, Cormorants and Ibis.  Hanging in the reeds is often a Least Bittern.  Occasionally I will manage to catch sight of an American Bittern.  

At the moment it is nesting season.  The Anhinga, Cormorants and Great Blue Herons are either courting, mating or nest building.  At this stage I am already seeing a number of chicks that have hatched early.  

Walking around you might spot a rather large alligator on the bank, or a nest of baby gators. You might also see an iguana in the trees, or running across the bank.  The cold weather is really not great for them and many die when a cold snap like we are having, hits Florida.  

However, nothing can beat the photograph I took the other day.  This, for me, was grace in motion and a beautiful sight to see.  The Osprey is a fish eating bird, that you can often see gliding through the sky above the wetlands.  It's average size is about 24 inches in length and 72 inches across it's wing span.

My luck was that it just happened to be looking down at me as I took the photo. Perhaps the sun glinted off the lens as I angled the lens up towards it.  Luck, good timing, whatever it was, I am just so glad I was able to see and photograph this gorgeous bird.  




“Every bird that flies has the thread 
of the infinite in its claw.” 
~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables


No comments:

Post a Comment