Monday, October 28, 2013

Vizcaya in Layers

I recently joined a new group called Project 10 Challenge, and the theme for this month is layers.  So I thought I would finish off my Vizcaya Museum and Gardens in Miami series with the various layers I found while walking around the property.
 
This self portrait was taken out on the Garden Mound, under this amazing painted ceiling.  As I turned to look at the covered area, I found myself looking at me, through glass doors layered with dirt.  Securing those doors were iron mounted gates.  Join me as I wander along and looked at the various layers of Vizcaya. 
 
 
 
 
Layers come in all shapes and sizes.  Pots staggered on a stairway, trees all in a row.
 



 
 
Ferns in layers attached to the pitted wall, or along walkways.




 
The gardens are layered in various levels, from the statues up high, to the shrubs down low.




Coral shaped stone layer the walls, and ferns grow out of the gaps, black seeps into the pitted gaps in the stone work.




Statues like sentinels, are a layer between the sky and the sea. 




Layers of different colors blend into this water feature, coppers, mustards, greys and yellows blend together to create this refreshing sight.




James Deering had a dream and at the age of 50 the culmination of his dream was his home Vizcaya.  This was the home where he hoped his health would be restored.  In 1912, James Deering purchased the land he planned to build his new home on. In 1914 construction began. In 1916 the main house was completed.  In 1921 the construction of the garden was completed. Although he enjoyed several winters at Vizcaya, in 1925 James Deering died.  These were just some of the layers that would define his life. 



“Always question what other things than the top layer are proceeding on beneath.”
~ Jay Woodman 
 
 
This is the last post on Vizcaya.  If you are interested in viewing the other posts click here, and then follow the links.  Thank you for joining me as we meandered through this stunning garden. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Richard - I appreciate your comment. I hope you got a chance to look at the other pages linked to this post. It was a really stunning place to visit.

    ReplyDelete