Monday, October 28, 2013

Vizcaya - From the beginning..

The journey through Vizcaya started out with my 30-minute-in-the-life blog which you can find here. This blog starts back at the entrance of the property.  Join me as I wander through the gardens. 
 
Sometimes in your life there comes along a friend who means the world to you.  My trip to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens was with a friend who means the world to me.  I met Midge in 2004, and I thank the Lord daily for this beautiful soul that has graced my life.  I call her friend.  She is my mentor, my accountability partner, my confidant.  The person I go to when I am troubled.  The person who never tells me what to do, just asks the questions that get you thinking and looking at things from different angles.  I am grateful for Midge. I am grateful for her love.  And I am grateful that we have time together to do things such as visit Vizcaya.  I hope that you have a Midge in your life as well. 
 
A school teacher of mine once gave me this quote:
 
"True friends are like diamonds
Precious and rare
False friends are like autumn leaves
Scattered everywhere"
 
How true that saying is.  I am thankful for my beautiful friend.
 
 
 
Join us as we meander through the gardens of Vizcaya.  We had to wait for the gardens to open, and while we did I wandered around looking at the array of statues at the entrance.  There is a whole under the sea kind of theme going on at this house - mermen, mermaids etc, and then various other kinds of statues as well.  Below are a few that we encountered at the entrance to the home.   
 
 











 
 
 
There is enormous ornamental tower with a water feature at the base of it.  A lot of the statues are pitted with black, gained over eons of time.  The formation of a rocky coral shaped edge is a pattern that you will stumble across throughout the garden.  Faces such as the one in this ornamental tower will also be found throughout the garden.
 
 
 
 
 


Playing around with water features and trying to sharpen and isolate the water drops had me laughing as I edited this picture below.  When I looked closely at the top of the water I felt like I was looking at the head of a snake, with a pretty mean eye, a long thin center body with two arms coming out from the body. The one arm looks like it could be petting a dog.  Okay that is just me and my eyes beyond the norm. 



 
Our first glimpse of Vizcaya is from the top of a really long driveway, elevated up much higher than the house.  As we walked down passed the cascading fountains that run down the driveway, I am already impressed.  But the house itself is spectacular and I cannot wait to explore.







We are at the foot of the driveway, in front of this amazing home.  Walk with us as we enjoy these incredible gardens.  Everything you look at has such incredible detail.  While I would like to say that the images along the sides of the entrance may have been some kind of crest - I do not thinks so.  The statue on the top, at each side, looks like a sea horse.
 





 
The finest details are found amongst the grounds, from urns to pots, to the edging of the roof, or along a wall.  Time was invested in putting this home together.






I am so impressed with the gardens, ornamental gardens, laid out in patterns and symmetry.




Interesting features were found all around the gardens, such as this ornamental seating with a giant shell above it.  On either side were the upper bodies of women.  The rock above the colored area is indicative of the coral feature, and the darkened area above the seat looks vaguely like a mouth full of teeth which over time has seen ferns growing in amongst them.
 

 
 
Railings of metal graced the gardens
 
 


And naked ladies of all shapes and sizes..


 
 
 
 
This is just the first part of the garden, incredible in it splendor and detailed to perfection..

 

“Garden design is all about concealment and surprise.”  
~ Andrew Crofts, Secrets of the Italian Gardener

Still interested in following my journey around the gardens of Vizcaya Museum and Gardens then click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment