Monday, October 28, 2013

30-Minutes-in-the-Life: October 2013


In the life of a photographer, whose art is created in tiny fractions of a second, thirty minutes is a sustained thought.  Thirty, minutes, the length of a child's ballet class, a quick sauce's simmer; a commute, is long enough to witness change and short enough to be over before you know it.  We offer you here our monthly results of thirty minutes of watching and waiting and recording, of rendering permanent those fractions of a second that slip past in the time it takes to watch a television show.  Thirty minutes in the life

~ Sara Kelly

 
30-Minutes-in-the-Life is a group of 15 photographers who stop for 30 minutes on any given day during the month to take photographs.  This month I joined my Meet Up Photography group on a day trip to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens in Miami.
 
Vizcaya was the dream of James Deering, born in South Paris, Maine in 1859.  After retiring in 1908, James Deering met two key people who would assist him in the creation of his new home, Vizcaya.  They were Paul Chalfin, the artistic director, and Elsie de Wolfe, the interior director.  They used a visit to Italy as an inspiration for the design of the home.  Francis Burrall Hoffman jnr. was appointed as the architect.  In 1014 the construction of Vizcaya began.  At the same time Deering met up with a Columbian landscape artist Diego Suarez.  The house was completed in 1916 and in 1921 the gardens were completed.  In 1925 James Deering, a bachelor, died, and the ownership of the property was passed on to his brother.  Twice in the following years the house was damaged by hurricanes.  In 1979 the property was listed on the National Register of Historical Places as a historic site.
 
I wish my 30 minutes could fully show, and do justice, to this incredible place but you will only see a very small portion of what this amazing home has to offer.  I have chosen to start off my journey at the point where we walk around the back of the property.  Join me as I walk with me through a small portion of this stately home.
 



As we rounded the corner of the home our first view was of this stretch of gardens that went beyond the distance of my eye. Lush gardens laid out in patterns with statues that lined the edges and hid the secrets of what lies behind. 

 

 
To the left of us was the ocean and down the steps was the garden - which way to go - difficult choice so we headed towards the ocean, only to find a marque blocking our way down, along with this guy. 

 

 
Squeezing past him I look towards the ocean and this was my view....Wow

 

 

Settled on the steps of the East Terrace looking out to Biscayne Bay is a barge in an unusual design of mermaids adorning the ends, and men and women gracing the decks of the barge, frozen in time, like ever present sentinels watching, watching...
 

 
 
 
 


I know I want to see more, I want to get closer, so come, walk with me down the steps of the South Terrace towards the Secret Garden.  At the top of the steps was a very interesting water feature - what appeared to be a huge trough with frogs clutching the top edge of the trough and salamanders at the base all spitting out water.




As we head down the steps directly ahead of us is the Center Island and the steps up to the Garden Mound.  At the base of the steps was an area called Mound Cascade (a cascading waterfall when the water is running) and Grottos, which were found to the sides of each set of steps. For the purpose of my 30 minutes we are not walking this way, however for just a quick glimpse I have shown the following pictures below.
 
 


Along the edges of the Center Island were the East and West Statuary Walks.  Statues of interesting shapes and characters line the edges of this area.  Paterres, otherwise known as ornamental flower gardens with beds and pathways laid out in patterns were directly in front of us.







But I digress, our aim is the barges out in the ocean.  To get there we have to pass through the Secret Garden.  So join us as we wander through the splendors of this interesting and very unique garden.
 
 
 

Through archways laden with some kind of stone work, which appears to resemble rocky beach areas or a form of rough coral. Down steps into a hide away of sorts filled with hidden treasures for the eye.
 

 
 
We stumbled upon a photo shoot of another kind of secret being shared - the secret of a new life.
 
 


On the far side of the Secret Garden are terraced plant holders that could have originally been a water feature...


 

...and a colorful and succulent garden that attracted butterflies and wasps.
 



Out through the doorways of time, back towards the East Terrace we go.  I am excited, I cannot wait to get up close to the barges.



 
 Along the edge of the East Terrace was a garden full of color, bright pinks and purples.




Finally I am where I want to be....viewing this incredible structure of what looked like it used to be one long barge, but the water level has risen and now laps over the center of the barge.  Mermaids grace each end, and statues co-exist in silence on the decks.
 



The mermaid, forever bound in stone...unable to swim free of the land. 




I could not find any information on the purpose of the barge or it's statues but I have to wonder if they did not head out to the barge for afternoon tea...or maybe coffee..



 


To the far side of the East Terrace was this little bridge that crossed over the water to the boat landing.  As I looked beyond this small bridge what I saw was how society has progressed.  Beyond this old bridge in the distance was the new bridge which takes you over to Key Biscayne.

 


Beyond the bay area I wandered back around the house, my friend Midge made her way to the shop and to find a seat and a cup of coffee and I wandered on, to the orchid garden.  I found this interesting trough.  What it was used for I have no idea, but it sits at the very beginning of the orchid garden.
 
 
 
At the other end of this garden this statue of a lady stands alone watching over the garden.
 
 
 
 
Orchids area favorite of mine.  They remind me of my father and his hot house of over 1000 orchids that he had growing.  Whenever I see them I think of him in his hot house repotting, watering, feeding and weeding his orchids so that they always were presentable to show.  Many a day I stood in there and listened to what he had to say.  
 
 
 
 
The orchids were scattered around this garden, beautiful to the eye and pleasing to the soul.
 
 
 
 
Through these gates I wandered, heading back around the house, this time to explore the magical gardens and to just soak in the beauty of this home. 
 
 
 

Sadly that is all I can show for this challenge but I hope that you enjoyed  meandering through Vizcaya Museum and Gardens with me.

“A garden to walk in and immensity to dream in--what more could he ask? A few flowers at his feet and above him the stars.”  

~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables


 
Remember to follow the link and see what Stacey Markel, Maryland Family Photographer has shared this month.

 
To learn more about this project go to 30-Minutes-in-the-Life  webpage and enjoy what has been offered over the past few months. 
 
 
If you want to read more about my walk through Vizcaya Museum and Gardens click here



10 comments:

  1. Awesome architecture there, Sharleen! I love how you walk us through your 30 minutes each month. Great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful images Sharleen! I loved sharing a part of your visit. It seems like such a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharleen, these are beautiful. I am a cloud lover and the first few images are simply spectacular!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just gorgeous, Sharleen. Wow...I am just speechless at how beautiful that place is! You captured everything just beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nailed those photos Sharleen! If you find a pool of jealousy all over this post it's because I was just oozing. ;) I'd love to go there so much. Ever thought of shooting for a travel magazine? xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful landscapes! I feel like I can just walk right through my screen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ladies - I hope you got a chance to look at the other blogs that followed this. It gives just a bigger picture of this amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing place! I always love your photo walks. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Amanda - I appreciate your comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristi - I would love to shoot for a travel mag - if they paid me to travel - that would be my idea of fun. lol

    ReplyDelete