Thursday, October 23, 2014

Poem

Some weeks ago I posted a photo to my facebook photography page that I had taken at the wetlands.   If you look closely at the brown leaves it looks like a person resting at the edge of the water.  My page is public and I got a message from a viewer to my page by the name of Cal Kimola Brown that lives up north who said to me that she had written a poem as a tribute to the famous Canadian artist Emily Carr.  She felt like the poem matched the image. 


To read more about Emily Carr click here.  I hope you enjoy both the image and the poem.  Thank you Cal for sharing your work with me.  It was a surprising and enjoyable collaboration.






The Evergreen – For Emily

If I was born an evergreen, a trunk the strongest
Ever seen,
My roots all gnarled and branches long;
With a breeze to comfort
And whistle a song,
I’d want to live beside a creek,
Where I could stand and cool my feet.

I’d stand and wait so patiently,
In hopes a lady named Emily,
Would come and paint my limbs so long,
And hum to me a happy song.
She’d paint my needles viridian green,
The loveliest green you’ve
Ever seen,
With lines and curves and strokes so bold,
A feast of colour to behold;
A dab of mauve to match her eyes,
And phthalo blue across the sky.

I wasn’t born an evergreen, I’m not the strongest
Ever seen,
Where roots would grow, instead are feet,
Where a trunk stands tall and branches meet,
I’m mere flesh with a need to eat.
But I can wade, and bathe my feet,
And admire the tree, beside the creek.

~ Cal Kimola Brown 



I hope that you have enjoyed reading this beautiful poem.  If you are interested in seeing more of my photography take a look at my Facebook page or my Flickr Page

1 comment:

  1. That's lovely Sharleen - they certainly were meant to be together. :) Cal

    ReplyDelete