Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Project 10 Challenge: May 2014: Out of Place

Project 10 Challenge is a group of photographers that have a circle blog. Beyond that they invite photographers to link a personal blog to their page. The new blogs come out on the 10th of each month so mine needs to be in before then. 

The topic this month is "Out of Place".  I kept thinking what can I do - truthfully I was going to skip this month.  Where was I ever "out of place", and what did I do that may be perceived as "out of place?

On Wednesday evening I planned to meet a friend after work downtown West Palm Beach. Not sure what you all know about West Palm Beach but the picture below is my typical thoughts on West Palm Beach.  Big boats, big houses, big money, beautiful city.


Cruising on the intracoastal is a good way to spend your day, if you are not working, which I was doing.


My friend suggested we meet at our usual parking spot and meander up Clematis Street. Our plan was to do a photo walk, only her camera was not home in time for her to grab it and run - her husband had taken it out on an assignment.  

Clematis Street is the art deco side of West Palm Beach, busy restaurants, arty shops, hip people and me.  I look like a tourist wandering around with my camera.  And I just have to say, dinner with a good friend is always worth looking like a tourist.  


What may have seemed "out of place" to some, perhaps in the whole West Palm Beach scene, is what I stumbled across while meandering through the downtown streets. 

 Graffiti!!. 

Oh man, I love graffiti.  I wish I could see more of it.  I think that folk who paint huge wall art are incredibly talented, and I have to say that this wall art really spoke to me.  

I had a conversation with a colleague just a bit earlier in the day.  We have similar coloring and on the last two occasions we have been together we have both worn the same color clothing. We also both agreed that 75% of our wardrobe consists of black items.  So I happened to mention that I thought that perhaps this was my inner goth coming out of me.  

When I saw these images I think my inner goth, got up and did the happy dance.  

This first image I found in Fern Street, just off City Place in West Palm Beach.


The rest of the artwork was found on a wall of a building in the ever busy art deco area of Clematis Street in West Palm Beach.

This artwork blew me away.  In fact stopped me in my stride. It was kind of dark, moody, and intense, and it covered a full wall.  I loved everything about it. How to take the photo's was what I looked at.  I took the full wall but I did not like the effect that I was seeing in my camera. So I started to zero in on each face.  An eye here. A full face here.  Enjoy the changing faces.....









Cropping the photo below I felt much happier with the image results.  This is just a portion of what the wall looks like.  


The artist is Eduardo R. Menieta and he has been living in West Palm Beach for 20 years.  For more information on him you can take a look at his website. What I noticed reading his page is that this same wall has been painted on for the past 3 years and each year has been a different theme.


While many may look at this and think it is "Out of Place" in this particular city, I love that I see it all around.  I love that this kind of artwork is embraced, encourage.  Big and bold and out for everyone to see.  Someone who can paint this kind of work on such a huge canvas is a true artist and I for one look forward to what 2015 will bring.  

In fact I may have to go on his graffiti trail one day.  

"Art is an evolutionary act.  The shape of art and its role in society is constantly changing.  At no point is art static.  There are no rules"

~ Raymong Salvatore Harmon, BOMB: A Manifesto of Art Terrorism



If you are interested in seeing more of my photography take a look at my facebook page or my Flickr Page


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found something for this theme and were able to share your love of this art with us.

    ReplyDelete