Saturday, March 1, 2014

Tell Me a Story: February 2014

I recently went to the Renaissance Fair.  What an amazing adventure.  Color abounds. Characteristic folks are all over the place.  If you did not read my previous blog, click here to read all about it.  As I mentioned in the previous blog I felt like I had entered the world of the "Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer. The characters felt like they were right out of the tales, and the authenticity of the period displayed was so good. Typically when you go to a fair the merchants are just that, merchants, but at this event they are all dressed in costume making it feel like a real historical event.  Even though I did not, I almost feel like it should be compulsory for one to dress up to attend this event. For this blog join me as I continue to venture through the fairgrounds meeting and learning about new people.  I chose to uses faces that intrigued me.


"Ats for sale, ats for sale.  Come up and choose your at.".  


Tiny hats perched on the tip of your head, all custome made with beautiful feathers, and lace and ribbon.  Don't forget to stop on by and choose a "at". This lady caught my attention initially because of the wings on her back but the more I look at her I am captured by her sweet face and the gentleness that her posture shows.  


“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.” 
~ Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel


This made me thing of a lady warrior in the days gone.  To name a few 1236- 1272 CE - Eleanor of Provence, 1295-1374 CE- Joanna of Flanders, 1312-1369 CE - Agnes Randolph, 1378-? CE Agnes Hotot Dudley.  I love the punkish look that the Mohawk gives, and the shaved sides of her head.  She is comfortable in her body and strides along without looking left or right. It is that confidence that caught my attention and it appears the attention of the elf.

How can you still count yourself a knight, when you have forsaken every vow you ever swore?" 

Jaime reached for the flagon to refill his cup. "So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.” 
~ George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings


Knights in shining armor, okay so maybe there was no armor, but we could pretend.  There were horses, and jousting, and swords and kings and queens. Fare thee well my good knight? This knight looked like he had a secret.  There is something in his smile that suggests that this may be the case.  

 “If I take a tumble, I'll mae quite a splash, but at least I won't smash against the deck and make a mess. Still be dead, though.” 
~ L.A. Meyer, Bloody Jack:  Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship Boy


The Golden Age of Piracy spans from the 1650's to 1730's.  The Port Royal Buccaneers do a great depiction of those times with pirates, and wenches and stories of old. Firing of cannons, both little and large.  Great booms sound in the skys.  For all intents and purposes this pirate looked a bit scary, however, I was so drawn in to depth of his eyes.  

"Taken my fingers to the bone, I have"


Tavern wenches hung out and about the fair, many with the pirates, some in the pubs, or where the music was being played.  Typically the breasts pushed out of the tops with tight corsets pulling their stomachs in.

I took a series of photos of this woman - she laughed comfortably with the pirates and enjoyed the banter that went backwards and forwards.  


There is a haunting innocence in this woman's demeanor.  I loved the softness of her look.


What fun these ladies were.  They were hanging out around the pub, enjoying the music, time with the pirates, and a little bit of tavern fun.  

“Dragons and legends...It would have been difficult for any man not to want to fight beside a dragon.”
~ Patricia Briggs, Dragon Blood


Riding the sea dragon was poetry in motion.  From the time he pushed the dragon to start moving to and fro, I was spellbound.  When he climbed atop I held my breath.  When he stood on it's head as the dragon swayed backwards and forward, I closed my eyes.  And when he did a somersault to the ground I knew the time that I had just given up was worth every minute.  

“What did she say? Just what she ought, of course. A lady always does” 
~ Jane Austen, Emma

Sometimes I was not sure whether ladies were characters playing a part of visitors deciding to dress up.  These three ladies I believe were visitors to the event and not working characters.


The gentle sophistication of this woman caught my eye.  


Oh what firey hair.  I had to take this photo.  She was young and sweet, dressed in a simple maids outfit, she walked the fair with her friends, laughing and smiling. I know I was not the only person who stopped and asked her if they could take her photo.


Feathers and finery.  The Renaissance fair is exactly where you will find this. What fun and what confidence she has to walked around with all those feathers in her hair.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" according to Lady Ettie


This colorful character spends her time advising guests on etiquette and deportment.  While I never got the chance to interact with Lady Ettie, I did watch her lead the parade of characters with gusto and real enjoyment in her role. 
In Dublins fair City, where the girls are so pretty,
I once met a girl called sweet Molly Malone,
As she wheeled her whelbarrow, throught the streets broad and narrow,
Crying cockles and mussels Alive alive o


The gesture said "Do you want to take a photo?", my answer was "absolutely. and so he raised the fiddle to his chin, and gladly played me a tune.  Celtic musics is one of my favorites. It gets my feet a-tapping and reminds me of my family history and the generations which have gone before.  


I hope you have enjoyed another part of my time at the Renaissance Fair.  I thoroughly enjoyed the day, enjoyed interacting with the characters and I know I will definitely go back.  In fact I may even find myself back there for the Celtic Weekend.    Remember to look out for my final blog on the potter.  

Don't forget to follow the link and see what Melinda Sauvageau has for you this month.

3 comments:

  1. I always love that you always give me a glimpse into something new. I love all the beauty and the absolutely stunning details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Mindy - if you did not get to read the previous blog about this event. Go take a look at it - I really had fun putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great event! Loved all the colours and expressions.

    ReplyDelete